A friend — I’ll call her Dotti, just told me that the new web site is now charging more than $12 for an online payment.
Here’s how it went down.
1) Dotti sets up an online payment with Lane Bryant on its web site.
2) Lane Bryant never receives the payment after two weeks.
3) Dotti freaks, and goes back to the web site to make another payment. Dotti finds that the payments are now being handled by a new bank that is a subsidiary of parent company Charming Shoppes, and she’ll have to pay $12.95 to make a payment online.
4) I do a bit of research and find Lane Bryant’s toll-free customer service number on the Charming Shoppes web site. Dotti gets on the horn with them. In 45 minutes, Dotti:
a) Enters a payment over the phone via an automated system
b) never receives confirmation for her $10 payment
c) Finally talks to a human after being on hold. “You have to listen to an ad about their pants.”
d) Humans no. 1 and no. 2 tell her they can’t confirm her payment. Dotti says, “Get me someone who can.”
e) Human No. 3 says, “We have received a payment of ten cents.”
f) Dotti’s card has been charged FIVE DOLLARS for making a payment over the phone.
5) Dotti comes back pissed off after her most craptacular customer service experience.
So, lemme get this straight.
1) Lane Bryant offers new “rewards” credit card; spend a few hundred bucks, get a $20 gift cheque.
2) To pay off your credit card balance each month, you have to pay a fee of $12.95.
3) To pay off your credit card over the phone, you have to pay a fee of $5.
4) Lane Bryant may register your payment as five cents or $100,000,000 and you can’t ever tell because there’s no confirmation of the amount you paid.
Additional direct quotes from Dotti include, “I had to enter so many numbers that my cell phone stopped allowing me to enter numbers,” and “I will never buy another thing from LB.”
So what’s the cost vs. reward on this? None. You have to pay a bunch of shit, not to mention interest, to get an eensy-meensy kickback.
How horrible. What a horrible, abominable practice this company has.
Can anyone else confirm this new, extremely craptacular form of customer service that Lane Bryant is now providing?
Seriously – why are they sucking so horribly? First it’s the craptacular clothes, then it’s the credit card bullshit, and now this?
Damn. Lane Bryant, you suck. Suck. SUCKITY SUCK SUCK SUCK. SUCK.
UPDATE: Ruby (noted in the comments below) said she went to make a payment and no fee was charged. So, who knows. I want to remain fair in this – but 45 minutes with a headache for customer service is still totally uncool.